Skip to main content

Turning Time

PC: thereadingroom.com
[Published as 'There and back again' on 'The Kathmandu Post' on 24th July, 2016]

As he entered the strange world, the air immediately got crisper, cooler. The fact that he had expected it didn't change how it affected him every time. The hair down his spine stood straight and he grabbed onto his jacket a little tighter. He was already out of place with his pair of jeans and blue button-down. His only hope was that the jacket shielded him against the oddity. Being transported to the new timeline was always strange. And the fact that he was always transported to the same date, July 28, 1914 even stranger.

As he shuffled out the alley, he knew exactly what to expect. Just like the other times, a woman came charging down the street with a kid. He always narrowly missed stumbling into them. So today, he made a point to take a pause before entering the street. He was learning, despite the fact that he didn’t know why or how he got sent to the same date again and again and by whom.

The whole thing was bizarre. The first time he got transported here, he’d been trying to get to work in the morning. As he walked out the door that day, he had found himself in the same alley. There was no plausible explanation for this. Still, he hadn’t feared the unknown. It’d felt like someone had finally used the correct key to unlock a door. He felt completely out of place yet right at home all in the same moment. He had felt a little frightened too because life around him was completely different than what he was used to in 2014. The clothes were different, the streets were different and so was the way people behaved. People looked stern yet happy. He was curious to know more about the people but was afraid to engage. It was bad enough that his clothes were different; he couldn’t risk being seen as an outsider so he decided not to talk to anyone at all. But, he had known it even then that there was more to this than what met the eye.

As he got to this point in his detour, he always felt a strange taste of nostalgia roll off his tongue. He knew where he had to go and it was always the same place, to the same person. He kept his head low and walked along the cobblestone street. He was almost there.

As he turned a corner, a park came into view across the street. When he saw her entering the park, his breath got hitched. She had always had that effect on him, ever since the first time.

He followed suit and quietly entered the park without garnering any attention. He trailed behind the lady reminding himself every few seconds that he shouldn’t engage. As she took a seat at a park bench, he went as far away from her as he could without losing her sight. He sat under a tree 10 ft away from her.

She was an attractive woman, soft curves of her body visible beneath the long dress she wore. She didn’t exactly have many distinctive features but she stood out. Like a firefly under a dark night sky, he never could look away. As she sat on the bench reading a book, he noticed her features minutely. She looked somehow different today. Like her eyes were too big for her face.

But that was impossible. When he time travelled, he always travelled to this exact date, into this exact moment. But how is it that he had never noticed how tense she looked. Surely he had missed it?

Something was surely up because she was clearly fidgeting in her seat. He had only ever known the woman to calmly read her book all the times he had been there.  He had the slightest inkling that it all linked back to him. He retraced his steps in his mind. He tried his best to remember what he had done differently today.

He had been about to go for brunch with his family. And just as he had touched the door, he had been transported to this day. He had been thinking about going back though as he hadn’t seen her in over a week. But not so much that he could have triggered it somehow. He had not learned to cause it yet. After he had gotten here this time, the only thing he had done differently was not stumbling upon the mother and her child on the way to the park. Could an encounter so minor change the fate of events so drastically?

In the present timeline, fear poured into his bloodstream like lead. His mind started racing accompanying his heart. He stood up swiftly and tried to get away from there, from her, as inconspicuously as possible.
As he stood, so did the two men who were sitting across from him. He figured he was being followed. He tried to act like he didn’t notice it. However, the two men were quick to race up to him. Turning on his heels he ran out of the park as fast as he could.

He tried to run without stumbling onto anyone but that was quickly becoming impossible. People were all over the streets taking an evening stroll. He had to get to the alley quickly. But two men following closely on his heels was a great dilemma. The portal to the future only ever worked for him when he was alone.

If he got stuck here, he knew there would be no going back to where he came from. So he gave his all into putting a distance between him and the other two. But as he was reaching the alley, his jacket got stuck in a mail box. After promptly deciding to abandon it, he ran into the dark alley. Unsure if he'd make it till the final moment.

As he ran through the alley, a warm blast of air hit his face. And just like that, he was back in 2014 standing on the front porch of his house. He collapsed on the floor. After laying there for several minutes, he finally stood up and decided to cancel brunch as he was in no state to go. As he was walking into the house, his feet stumbled onto the newspaper.

As he picked up the paper, he saw the words "World war" sprawled out on the front page.
He straightened it out only to see "World war I- a century old tale" as the headline.

 He had never known the world to have gone through a world war. As he checked the date of the war, a chill ran down his spine.

July 28, 1914.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How it all started :)

As I start my very own blog from today.... I'd want to commence by stating how I started writing stuff  ...have fun reading, even though, it's my very first piece of write-up here...And  I'd love it if you comment on how it went. Thank you :) Writing is not something that I started doing from a very young age and  yet I just love how it makes me feel every time I do it. As of now,  It has spread inside of me as a  poison because even if I try to fall out of this habit now, I just simply can't! It all started out some 5 years ago when my very first piece of writing was published in 'The Himalayan Times', in the 'Schoolpost' section, for the very first time. The encouragement and appreciation I got at that  moment  made me want to try my hand at this....and now I am what I am today all because of the feeling of being appreciated  It was not that I started to write out-of-the-blue. Since a very young age, my father used to take me out  to...

My first day of college :D

Dear diary, Today was the day that I had dreaded for weeks (months actually :P). As the title suggests, today was the first day of my college life! First day is always the hardest and... so it was. The day as a whole was pretty aggravated and I sure am glad that the day is finally over... As i woke up this morning, all I could think was how this day would possibly end! New friends, new teachers, new environment, new class.... and god knows what! Walking through the gate with all the eyes staring at me was almost embarrassing...but I didn't let that get the best  of me even if it was VERY hard to ignore. Oh well! It surely does happen to all of us at some point in our life! My college life started with a short presentation and a long lecture. Surprisingly, the hour-and-a-half long lecture was not so boring. Finally, the college administration officially welcomed us to their college and told that they were proud to have us! (sighs) Anyways, we didn't study today at all. Mainl...

Whats your aim, they say!

Hey folks!!! I'm Soooo sorry that I've not been able to post anything much! But you know, I've been super busy! My SLC result got published just recently so all these "getting into a good college " things have kept me at bay even if I'm just 16! Oh, well! Gotta follow the rules down here in Nepal! :P Enough of the babbling (for now !). Okay so I have not been able to write something new lately but I am going to post something, anyway! So, I wrote this a few weeks before the end of my "school days" ...that will be..erm..few months ago. This will keep you guys in perspective.  So, here it goes ! =) Few days till the end of the school and I cannot help but think what lays ahead of me in life. I have my SLC coming up and there’s certainly a lot of pressure regarding my exams but there’s also the one regarding my future. Whenever I meet any of my relatives they ask what my aim in life is. “Doctor or Engineer” they say and I cannot help but smile at h...

I had to live without my phone for 10 days and it didn't go well.

Few months after I bought a phone, the worst thing that could happen to a person that bought a new phone happened to me. My phone started to dysfunction. My brand new phone, that I was paying way more than I could afford, was having issues. And like any normal person, I too went through the 5 stages of grief.  I pretended like I did not see that my apps were crashing and my phone was restarting randomly. I would just put my phone face down when that happened because I did not want to deal with it (kids, don't try this at home). And then I levelled up to the next stage. My phone would restart exactly when I was trying to send an important text, make an important call...or take a picture, or a million, of a beautiful sunset and boy, did that piss me off. I tried to look up solutions online but I couldn't find any that worked for me. Then I started bargaining. Is my phone shutting down and starting up on its own, which takes a total of 20 secs, really that big of a deal? I felt li...

I know I can count on you :)

Hey good people!! Its been long since I updated my blog. But you know,when I don't feel 'ít', I just can't write anything! lol I know that I keep telling this but every bit of the next sentence is true. I'm just crazy like that! :P Okay, so today's post is certainly not about my stupidity.(You had probably guessed that considering the large heading but I wanted to mention it anyways..lol)  The post right here is about the people who accept my tantrums, silliness, mood swings and most  importantly my 'short-temperedness' with ease ( I do 'chill out' after a short while even if I get angry VERY fast.. but lord bless those people!! It can be hard at times :P ) . This post is all about the people who make my life great. Yes,Friends are what i'm talking about...even if you didn't guess it already regarding the cheesy lines :P  Today happens to be THE friendship day , so, I thought what better day could I pick to write about th...

Our story :)

Hey people! So, this story is here because of the special request from a few special people (Apee Regmi and Aayushma Khadka and so on..).I wrote this story some 2 years ago on Valentines day....so it revolves around the same thing. When people read this story they ALWAYS ask me if it happened for real and I say 'no'. It would be fun to have a guy like him with me but NO.  This story is NOT... I'll say it one more time... It is NOT based on my experience so you can stop whatever you are planning on questioning me based on the story. Hope I'm clear about this. (sighs) So here goes the story: Young people are very excited as V-day turns up. Some are happy while others are anxious. on 2005 V-day, I also belonged to the anxious group because I was going to ask someone out on that very day, for the very first time in my life. I am Samaira. I normally didn’t believe in love but after meeting him the feeling isn’t peculiar anymore. Aryan made me believe in love, in...

The Chasm

I remember how easy it used to be  Closing my eyes shut  And, at once, seeing their names  On the back of my eyes Painted in bright hues of red  Always so close to feel  To dream  To touch  With 'I love you's  Gushing out of my lips  Faster than I could remember to breathe. Always,  All I did was love, love and love again With never present people  Setting myself to rot  In the chasm they'd build Out of lies and disguise Naïvety or Delusion?  I could never figure. Until one day,  I realized I was the liar Falling in love with feelings Never people. Setting myself up for loss every time  Because despair was a feeling too  And I'd rather feel sad than empty;  Misery than nothingness.

L.O.V.E.

:) The day of love , or so they call it, is yet again on our doorstep. Some may be quite excited about it and then, there may be the ones who not only despise this day , but hate the color red altogether. Yes, I've been in the company of few such living examples. And If I had not met them myself I would not believe this because I happen to be a complete opposite of what they are. I am a hopeless romantic kind of person. Yes, a person who is in love with love. A person who believes that there is always this one person who is made only for her. A person who believes that all the Nicholas Spark's books come true. A person who firmly believes that the thing called 'true love' exists beyond the pages of love stories. A person who believes that you can have your own personal fairy tale. Cheesy, you may tell me but well, that's the way I am. And, I swear, not a single word I've written here is exaggerated. What I've written is what I believe because ...erm...

Homecoming

The sun was dipping down the horizon shattering into brilliant hues of red, as I looked over to you. You were staring back at me with such stark intensity that I audibly shivered. And just like that, my mind travelled back in time as a million images of you flashed in front of my eyes. You were always in such a rush back then. Urgent kisses and hurried gestures. Your arms intertwining across my bare body marking their territory one inch at a time. Your breath and mine perfectly folding into one as we tried to have as much of each other as possible, as soon as possible. I was smitten and when you looked at me with such ferociousness, I could only surrender, breaking under you each time you touched me… “How are you?”     I snapped back from my reverie, mumbling a breathless “Ok…” as I looked down from your unwavering gaze, unable to hold it together anymore. “I can’t believe this is real. I can’t believe you’re really here with me” “I know....

How I Met Your Mother vs Friends

Photo:Pinterest I watched How I Met Your Mother for the first time when I was in 7 th  grade. At that time, the jokes most likely went right over my head and I probably didn’t understand the context to many things but still something about Ted Mosby resonated with me, even then. I have always struggled with keeping my love in check like him which has led to various failings throughout the years but Ted’s always had my back by being one step ahead. For these reasons and more, I whole-heartedly love the show. On the other hand, I watched F.R.I.E.N.D.S. a couple years later and thought it was mostly nice. I’d all but forgotten about it until last year when, for some reason, everyone started talking about it. I, by no means, thought it was a bad show but I couldn’t fathom why everyone liked it  so much . People started labelling it superior to HIMYM which didn’t sit well with me. So I decided to re-watch F.R.I.E.N.D.S to gain perspective which led me to the conclusio...