Skip to main content

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars



I have never done book reviews in my life except for those compulsory ones that I was made to do in 9th grade by my English teacher. He made us write five book reviews in a month (yes, you heard me right)..So yeah, the quantity ruled over quality and the whole "reviewing books" thing was an epic fail to sum it up.  And for a while, I have been running out of things to write about that interests me. So, I had an epiphany this evening about doing reviews. And I said to myself, what better book would there be to start with other than 'The Fault In our Stars' which is probably the most hyped Y/A  fiction of the 21st century, yet. In both good and bad ways. I don't remember the first time I heard about the book and that shouldn't surprise any of us as it basically ruled the internet since it came out. So, succumbing to the calls of pop culture, I finally decided to read the book in the fall of 2013. I'm aware that I might be a little late. Here goes nothing.....

The plot follows teenagers Hazel and Gus who are bound together by their shared history of being a cancer patient. But that's where the similarities end. Hazel is more of a depressed soul, who thinks her life started  the moment her cancer was diagnosed.And believes that there's nothing more to it. On the other hand, Gus is reluctant to let the disease decide his way of life. He is, as he himself puts it, a roller-coaster that only goes up. When the two of them meet, there's an instant spark and they decide to hang out together further.They bond over books and video games and their conversation will have anyone's face split in two with grin. The story takes an unfortunate turn when Gus tells Hazel that his cancer has returned with no hope of subsiding. Hazel sticks with him through thick and thin, but life has a way of taking it's course.

When I first read the book, I couldn't figure out if I liked it or not. The book was funny, sweet, romantic , closed off with a rather sob-worthy ending. But here's the twist, with me there was no sobbing involved (at all) and I found it eerily similar to "A walk to remember" by Nicholas Sparks. It left me kind of dissapointed, because when two cancer patients are involved, there is 90% chance of death being involved and this book was no different. The characters have traits and monologues which could be fairly suited to the late 19th century than the present day timeline. Also the fact that Gus is so perfect intrigued me. Let's face it: He was tall, handsome, funny, charming, romantic who made rather long romantic confrontations without hesitation and/or fear. No guy is that perfect. And he is the kind of character, that sets unrealistic expectations and it's rather sad. Gus also has a habit of making Venn-diagram for everyday things and make lists for everything which happen to be a trait of most of the protagonists in John Green books. So, that's quite a let-down as well.

But having said all this, the book does have its moments. The quotes mostly left me spell bound. And there is this one quote that has to be in my list of all-time favourite quotes, which spoke to me the most. "That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt", said Gus and my mind exploded with all my saddening personal encounters. One of my friends thought this was an illogical sentence but I guess that's the thing about quotes, it demands to be related. And there was this other one, "I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly then all at once". The fact that John Green related sleep to love left me astounded. And I bet everyone who has been in love can relate to this. I also loved Issac's character, who is Gus's best friend. The way they cherish their friendship is exemplary. And it's breath of fresh air from the two love birds which are rather too uptight in their conversations.

All in all, 'The fault in our stars' is an okay book. Pun-intended. The story line is not the best but the way John Green puts it, things definitely becomes interesting. If you haven't read the book yet, you might want to lower your expectations a notch. And even though, it's not the "BEST BOOK EVER", you might want to give it a try if you haven't read it yet. Because if this is the way things are going to be, everyone's going to be talking about it for a quite long time to come.


If you want me to review any other book, comment below and I'll try my best to do it. Thanks ! :)

Comments

  1. I loved your review. Awesome. (y)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good try but sorry i couldn't resist myself... umm heres the thing... you NEVER reveal the ending of any book in a book review since you just stated that Gus's cancer returns which is a crucial climax in the plot and then you give away the ending about Gus's death and it is something which shouldn't be revealed. THAT is a very fatal flaw in your book review.. Hamertia as Hazal puts it.. No hard feelings though.. just putting it out there ..accept a little improvising criticiism?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that one's not supposed to give out major plot points in a review but this is TFIOS we are talking about....I don't think there's anyone who doesn't know that Gus dies in the end. Maybe it was Hamertia on my part but I kinda had my reasons for putting it there. But hey thanks! I'll keep that in mind the next time I do it.
      Thank you for being concerned enough to point it out, I appreciate it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How it all started :)

As I start my very own blog from today.... I'd want to commence by stating how I started writing stuff  ...have fun reading, even though, it's my very first piece of write-up here...And  I'd love it if you comment on how it went. Thank you :) Writing is not something that I started doing from a very young age and  yet I just love how it makes me feel every time I do it. As of now,  It has spread inside of me as a  poison because even if I try to fall out of this habit now, I just simply can't! It all started out some 5 years ago when my very first piece of writing was published in 'The Himalayan Times', in the 'Schoolpost' section, for the very first time. The encouragement and appreciation I got at that  moment  made me want to try my hand at this....and now I am what I am today all because of the feeling of being appreciated  It was not that I started to write out-of-the-blue. Since a very young age, my father used to take me out  to the booksho

I had to live without my phone for 10 days and it didn't go well.

Few months after I bought a phone, the worst thing that could happen to a person that bought a new phone happened to me. My phone started to dysfunction. My brand new phone, that I was paying way more than I could afford, was having issues. And like any normal person, I too went through the 5 stages of grief.  I pretended like I did not see that my apps were crashing and my phone was restarting randomly. I would just put my phone face down when that happened because I did not want to deal with it (kids, don't try this at home). And then I levelled up to the next stage. My phone would restart exactly when I was trying to send an important text, make an important call...or take a picture, or a million, of a beautiful sunset and boy, did that piss me off. I tried to look up solutions online but I couldn't find any that worked for me. Then I started bargaining. Is my phone shutting down and starting up on its own, which takes a total of 20 secs, really that big of a deal? I felt li

The Knowing

Hey folks,, What's up with you guys? As of me I'm super busy with the assignments and home-works !! No matter how much effort I put....there's always another pile of assignments to complete! (sighs) Anyways.....this time I'm going to post a story I wrote ....Immature you may tell me but I seriously am improving day by day... :) ....Here's goes the story... Aryaa looked stunning in the red gown. Her face was gleaming. He couldn’t help watching her. She was moving so abruptly and graciously towards him that he nearly fainted. She looked ravishing and the pretty girl was now standing by his side. She looked at him with her big sparkly eyes. Her alluring fragrance was lifting him off his feet. She gestured him to tell him something in his ear. He absent-mindedly moved towards her. “Wake Up, Rahul” was what she said. For once he couldn’t make out what she was referring to and the next moment he opened his eyes. Rahul was already so late for college yet his mom insi

My first day of college :D

Dear diary, Today was the day that I had dreaded for weeks (months actually :P). As the title suggests, today was the first day of my college life! First day is always the hardest and... so it was. The day as a whole was pretty aggravated and I sure am glad that the day is finally over... As i woke up this morning, all I could think was how this day would possibly end! New friends, new teachers, new environment, new class.... and god knows what! Walking through the gate with all the eyes staring at me was almost embarrassing...but I didn't let that get the best  of me even if it was VERY hard to ignore. Oh well! It surely does happen to all of us at some point in our life! My college life started with a short presentation and a long lecture. Surprisingly, the hour-and-a-half long lecture was not so boring. Finally, the college administration officially welcomed us to their college and told that they were proud to have us! (sighs) Anyways, we didn't study today at all. Mainl

I know I can count on you :)

Hey good people!! Its been long since I updated my blog. But you know,when I don't feel 'ít', I just can't write anything! lol I know that I keep telling this but every bit of the next sentence is true. I'm just crazy like that! :P Okay, so today's post is certainly not about my stupidity.(You had probably guessed that considering the large heading but I wanted to mention it anyways..lol)  The post right here is about the people who accept my tantrums, silliness, mood swings and most  importantly my 'short-temperedness' with ease ( I do 'chill out' after a short while even if I get angry VERY fast.. but lord bless those people!! It can be hard at times :P ) . This post is all about the people who make my life great. Yes,Friends are what i'm talking about...even if you didn't guess it already regarding the cheesy lines :P  Today happens to be THE friendship day , so, I thought what better day could I pick to write about the special folks

Our story :)

Hey people! So, this story is here because of the special request from a few special people (Apee Regmi and Aayushma Khadka and so on..).I wrote this story some 2 years ago on Valentines day....so it revolves around the same thing. When people read this story they ALWAYS ask me if it happened for real and I say 'no'. It would be fun to have a guy like him with me but NO.  This story is NOT... I'll say it one more time... It is NOT based on my experience so you can stop whatever you are planning on questioning me based on the story. Hope I'm clear about this. (sighs) So here goes the story: Young people are very excited as V-day turns up. Some are happy while others are anxious. on 2005 V-day, I also belonged to the anxious group because I was going to ask someone out on that very day, for the very first time in my life. I am Samaira. I normally didn’t believe in love but after meeting him the feeling isn’t peculiar anymore. Aryan made me believe in love, in

On moving 6629km alone away from home

It was a fresh start, one that I needed desperately. Applications and documentation had taken so much of my time and sucked so much of my energy, I don't think I quite comprehended what the move was going to entail. While I was open to changes, I don't think I was aware of how much transformation across all aspects of life it would take to acclimatise myself to my new reality. I was just happy for a fresh start. Nothing else mattered.  But turns out, getting on the plane is the easiest step in all of this. The amount of transformation I've gone through and learning I've done in the past couple months is truly insane, to say the least. Recently, a friend back home asked me how I was doing living alone and I thought about it. Honestly, it hasn't been all good or all bad, but the important thing has been rooting and balancing myself despite it all. Not sure if anything I've written will be groundbreaking or something that hasn't been already said 7 million time

Poems- I

Picture by my friend, quite a long time ago.  I wouldn't call myself a poet. A good one, atleast. But every once in a while someone else takes over. Enjoy! Wrote this one last night because I had an exam. And I felt like doing literally anything other than studying. My favorite line: You took me in your arms                                 And like waves we collided  Wrote this one some two months back. Just because. My favorite line: But my heart forgets. 

How I Met Your Mother vs Friends

Photo:Pinterest I watched How I Met Your Mother for the first time when I was in 7 th  grade. At that time, the jokes most likely went right over my head and I probably didn’t understand the context to many things but still something about Ted Mosby resonated with me, even then. I have always struggled with keeping my love in check like him which has led to various failings throughout the years but Ted’s always had my back by being one step ahead. For these reasons and more, I whole-heartedly love the show. On the other hand, I watched F.R.I.E.N.D.S. a couple years later and thought it was mostly nice. I’d all but forgotten about it until last year when, for some reason, everyone started talking about it. I, by no means, thought it was a bad show but I couldn’t fathom why everyone liked it  so much . People started labelling it superior to HIMYM which didn’t sit well with me. So I decided to re-watch F.R.I.E.N.D.S to gain perspective which led me to the conclusion that I